Sunday, February 26, 2012

So, I had this fantastic blog post in my head...

Sometime either in the wee hours, or late at night, I can't remember which, I had what I was sure to be the most inspiring blog post I've ever written. I had it largely mapped out and it was one of those that would hit the social networking and launch me into a new realm of "people with wise words in the blogosphere".

I have no clue what it was about. I think I was awake...

An-y-way, here I sit at the club house, a hop-skip-and-jump from the bus, with great internet, a free night of relaxation, where I can sit think, enjoy, reflect, and write of all the many thoughts and experiences we are having - yet unable to get even one coherent thought to pass through my head.

Oh well. I'll just start typing and see what happens.

We had a wonderful morning. Since the bus is our only form of transportation, we don't usually like to randomly select churches, then scare them when a 38' bus pulls into their small parking lot, so we have had to miss some Sunday services, choosing to find a good sermon to listen to in the bus. Not today though! Right next to the front entry of our campsite is a cute little country church, called "Country Church". We called the night before to confirm the service time. It's a very small congregation right now, and just trying to get off the ground in the area, so they only had one service time, no Sunday School or otherwise. *Perfect* for us. Honestly, I would rather not hassle with random Sunday Schools, we just want to go to the worship service and when we're traveling, there is no time to get to know people in a big church, so those little ones are simply the best. You get a chance to immediately connect, often in ways that turn into friendships right away, instead of after the 7th or 8th visit when your face finally registers and familiar.

We showed up a bit early and Michael went in ahead of us to make sure people were there and we had the start time correct. Next thing I know he heads back out to the bus and tells us to grab our instruments. Turns out he spoke with the pastor and mentioned we were a family band. What also happened to be the case is that the ones who often lead some music for this church were not there that day, (coincidence? I think NOT!) and we were all pretty convinced that God had set us all up, sending us their way on the perfect day when they needed some lively bluegrass gospel. We tuned up the instruments, stepped up to the microphones, and pulled out our best gospel music, then enjoyed a very engaging sermon. When the service was over we stuck around to chat, and pulled the instruments out again to play some fast and fun bluegrass instrumentals! It is a small and struggling little congregation, and I sure hope we brought them a little excitement and encouragement to keep on stepping out in faith.

One lady there had a small guitar she purchased months ago and never learned to do much with it, so she asked if Alex would mind giving her a lesson. She arranged to come by our campsite that afternoon and they sat down together to go over some basics. We now have new friends in this unknown area.

Once again, we started off assuming we were stopping at an RV park, no where near our next destination, just killing time before the next scheduled item on our calendar, to find God had set something up for us right where we randomly stopped. That. Is. Cool. We have had so many of those at this point, I don't know why it still surprises me.

I wonder what insta-gigs He has planned for us this week?

Well, what do you know, I managed a blog post after all, though not likely to be one that will hit the social networking sites with a storm. It will someday serve a purpose to remind me of details during this very unique time in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I suspect that the people of this particular small church will be talking about this particular Sunday for many years to come. "Do you remember that Sunday morning when the Costello family just happened to stop by our little church..?"

    ReplyDelete