Monday, March 12, 2012

Things that happen at Wal-Mart, etc.

A funny thing happened in the Wal-Mart parking lot yesterday. We pulled Benny over and Michael headed in with the kids while I finished my grocery list. While I was there a converted bus (Eagle) pulled around us and parked nearby. The driver and a couple others sat there staring at our bus. I didn't think much of it, since people often stare at Benny, so I finished my list and headed into the store.

After I returned from my shopping I was rather surprised to see our bus was full of people! While I was in the store, the rest of the family was out making friends with another family band, the Young Family. They saw our bus and were intrigued, so they stopped to see who we were. Everyone was swapping buses and comparing notes! It was a hoot! We tried to go see their show last night, but it really is kind of hard to randomly go anywhere with just the bus for transportation, so we ended up giving it a miss. We'll catch them next year.

Suzie and Gary from GospelGrass caught this picture of us playing for the Shady Oaks RV park tonight. Nice audience, and it was so great to see old friends. I really enjoy heading into the Rockport area. The Rio Grand Valley is full of fine folks who really like our shows, but there does seem to be a slight difference in the overall feel from Rockport. This area isn't a retirement coastal mecca, and that may be part of it. It's easy to find a place to take kids here, changing the dynamics completely, at least from the view of one who has children to shelter.

Oh, Sean has a new fiddle! He's very excited, and slightly frustrated because it's in Colorado and he's in Texas. We're working on getting it to him, though I am seriously tempted to have it sent in to the local Colorado luthier who works on our violins before sending it off to Texas. It needs slight adjustments to the bridge, and possibly a new tailpiece before he plays it much. The price was, thanks to a more recent fiddle teacher, wholesale. Sean paid for most of it with the money he has saved up, and we covered the rest. He needed a full size violin to grow into, and a higher quality sounding instrument to match his increasing abilities.

Well, that's one more update given to the neglected blog. We had a great show, though it left me over-tired, and just like a little kid, when I'm over-tired I can't sleep. I'm all achy and waiting for Tylenol to kick in. Plus, daylight savings is not my friend.

2 comments:

  1. Well done Sean for saving up his money. I'm sure that the anticipation will make him love it all the more, when he is finally united with his new fiddle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cheryl,
    Blogger keeps eating my comments, must be hungry. Just wanted to say "hi" and that I was expecting a bit more People of Walmart of a story, but this will do ;-) Congrats to Sean on the new fiddle. How exciting!
    I gave you an award at my blog yesterday. here
    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-Host of the April A to Z Challenge
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete