Thursday, June 7, 2012

Hospitality and a Trip Well Done

Well, now. That was quite an ordeal. Honestly, when I first realized what we were up against, the near complete removal of the bus floor, I was nearly in despair. How??? We live in this bus. There is no home we own to head back to, where there are warm beds, a place to fix meals, and a garage full of needed tools. After a short panic, I dropped a facebook note to our dear friends, whom we would be seeing shortly as we headed through Kansas before we arrived in Colorado. They welcomed us wholeheartedly, knowing it meant disrupting their routine for at least a week during an otherwise very inconvenient time.

I have never been so blessed by the warm hospitality of friends as I have been in the last 5+ months. Perhaps this is a surprise because hospitality is simply not my talent. Ok, I admit it. I flat out stink at hospitality and always have. I do like it when I have short visits with good friends. I enjoy cleaning the place up a bit and having nice conversation, but to host people in my home for any length of time gets me far out of my comfort zone. So when we arrive at the homes of others with everything from a broken toilet, a child in need of a birthday, a ride to find banjo picks, to a tail light that needs a rewire, I always feel a bit guilty from the start, because I am not sure if I would have been able to pull off so much joy in all of that myself. Yet time and again, God places just the right people in our path at just the right moment. I am blessed and humbled at the same time.

This job was HUGE, and because of this, God placed us into very special hands. Kevin and Anita let us into their home - again, at a less-than-ideal time for them all, allowed us to fill their library and garage with our beds, clothing, books, dishes, and everything we own, fed us, lined up a couple nice churches where we could play during our stay, laughed with us, and shared their beautiful home.
The kids hardly noticed the disruption. In fact, they thought they were vacationing at one of the best stops yet. Especially Sean, who caught 8 fish from their lovely pond for a fish dinner, played with water balloons, drove their little motorized 4 wheeler, launched potatoes from a rocket, and went to a local baseball game and helped out with the concession stand.

Most importantly, he turned TWELVE! The last dozen years have been quite a ride!

So, here we now sit, back where we started in Northern Colorado. I don't know yet if it's good to be home, because in so many ways, though Colorado is familiar, we don't have roots here any longer. It's an odd feeling, really, but worth it. What a wonderful ride it's been since we left in December!

Though I am looking forward to our up coming shows, especially our Streetmosphere programs in Fort Collins, always my favorite, today I found myself already plotting our route and stopping points for our trip up to Minnesota in July. We do need to book our stay and plan our route, but I really must remember to pay attention to the here and now. There is a lot to do in the next 4 weeks. We'll need to complete our project on the floor, (the bus is back together again, but on a metal floor with only insulation under the benches and cabinets, awaiting a final main flooring for the exposed areas once we decide on the best type), and Lord willing, purchase a vehicle. A graduation party for a couple of twin ladies may also be in order, promotional packets to mail, and people we will want to catch up with.

I'll end with a pile of pictures from our weekend at Silver Dollar City. I finally had a moment free to pull them off of my camera, and to grab a few from some kind photographers who shared some online.

1 comment:

  1. Hospitality is not my thing either. Like you, I am well out of my comfort zone when people come to stay. Isn't it a good thing that we are all different!

    ReplyDelete