Monday, January 7, 2013

Monday Musings - I'm Famous



It’s another Manic Monday, or time for a Monday Musings. As I write, we are driving from Rockport to the Rio Grande Valley, where we will spend the remainder of our winter, playing for RV parks. Although Rockport is probably our favorite South Texas town, it was time to leave. We were getting stares in Walmart, and people were stopping us in H.E.B., all recognizing us from the shows we’ve played. It was only a matter of time before the Paparazzi show up and start stalking our bus and we get on the cover of “Stars Without Makeup!” *Shudder*

We had a nice time this weekend at the Rockport Gospel Festival, even though the western gal in me still doesn’t really “get” Southern Gospel. Believe it or not, this was my first time at a festival where they had a lot of Southern Gospel. You don't find it much in Colorado. 

They got us and liked us, so it was great! The twins took a break from manning our CD table (which was tiny and pathetic compared to the big, flashy tables with a ton of CDs and merchandise sold by the Southern Gospel groups - obviously others out there get it), to head to the Dairy Queen across the parking lot. Most of the people at the Dairy Queen were from the festival audience, so the twins found a corner to hide so they could eat their ice cream in peace. They said it was awkward because people kept coming up and talking to them and telling them they were great. Ha! 

Only in Texas. Texas loves us and we love Texas. Such enthusiastic people! We go to Colorado and we get these looks like, "You do whaaat? With your kids? On purpose? Huh? I don't get it." Of course, we go to Arkansas or Missouri and get looks like, "Oh, great. Another family band. Whatever." See, in Texas you're cool, but not over-done.

So, now that we get a little teeny-tiny feeling of being recognized wherever we go, what do we think? I think it’s fun (not sure the twins do) as long as we can leave town and be nobodies again. My worst nightmare would be to  have nowhere to go to just enjoy ourselves. I don’t think I want to be famous. I do, however, like to eat and when you are an entertainer it sure does help when people like you and come to see you, but I’ll leave the mega fame to people like Honey Boo Boo. 

Celebrity gossip magazines and TV shows usually threaten to make my head explode if I am forced to view more than 10 seconds of the content, but I think I feel a bit sorry for some of the people followed around constantly, without privacy. I’m pretty convinced that, for me at least, all that celebrity money is definitely not worth it. Just keep my bus moving, my instrument strings changed, food in our bellies, and some clothes on my sprouts who keep sprouting up, and I’m good. I happen to love performing and entertaining, and I think at least some of those media stars (Honey Boo Boo aside), probably love their craft, not just the fame and money. I hope it’s worth it to lose anything resembling a private life for the craft. If they lose it for money and fame, I have no sympathy. 

Not that I’ll ever have to find out if being able to fully surround yourself in a craft you love is worth that loss. Family bluegrass bands are usually a sure way to ensure you’ll never find that out! You’ve made it big as a family bluegrass band if you ever buy a pair of shoes from anything but a thrift shop or a Walmart sale. That’s my goal, you know, to get important enough to see what that feels like. As I said, after that, I’m good. 

1 comment:

  1. I love musing posts! I have several blogging buddies who do them. I think you're right that there's a point where you still want your privacy, but there's a bit of a kick to be recognized. I'm fascinated by the cultural differences you're finding in your travels. Keep these coming, Cheryl!
    Tina @ Life is Good
    http://kmdlifeisgood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete