Saturday, March 9, 2013

So Many Ideas, So Little Attention Span!

 Ideas, ideas, ideas...
We have been brainstorming ways to bring in a bit more money so we can update the sound system, a few of the instruments, and other things that constantly appear out of reach for a small family band. Sadly, not a lot fits into a wandering lifestyle.

After getting a few ideas from an online talk hosted through a Full Time Families website, I realized it has been staring me in the face for months, even years. In fact, couple of years have gone by since I first thought to take my experience as a music teacher to young children, combined with my experience involving music in the home as a mom, and write a program or something to encourage and help other families do the same - in their own home, without fancy outside classes.

Wait... Back that up. A decade ago I sat with a friend and we brainstormed ideas on a homeschooling music program, since I have been unimpressed with everything I've seen out there for some time. This desire has been a long time in the making.

A couple of years ago we started experimenting with a few youtube videos, thinking video instruction may be the way to go, but the time and cost to produce a good product was not realistic at the time.

That's when it hit me: Why not simply begin an e-business to start? Blogging, resource recommendations, and eventually a series of ebooks?

With lots of excitement, I jotted down ideas and got all excited! Then I put the idea on hold because we had to get taxes finished first. My dad does our taxes and he and his Turbo Tax will be sitting in the camper next to our bus for only a short time longer, then we headed north and they headed to the island to fish for a couple of weeks.

Sadly, I'm a chronic procrastinator with everything accounting related. Since Michael doesn't even have accounting on his radar and has taken to booking the gigs and making the calls now, the task fell to me to clean up the neglected mess. Receipts to sort, mileage to calculate, CD inventory, deductions, paperwork...

We're almost finished, just a bit more to enter and I can get started procrastinating next year's taxes.

There is only one problem: Taxes zapped the creativity right out of me. I can't seem to get my momentum going on the project now. Is it possible I only have a creative mind when I'm procrastinating??? That would fit my general profile!

Of course, taxes were very slow because there was so much other important stuff to do that came before creativity on new projects and definitely before procrastinated taxes. We had a busy week of shows, for one thing. There was a Lone Ranger who needed to find his audience, and a Mouse Club that needed announcing.


 We had shows to play on tall stages too.

 Then there was the really important stuff, like going to the zoo in Brownsville, or catching sharks off South Padre Island.

 Fishing takes a lot of work, you know.
 This week I will try to find my voice again on the subject. We have a domain name mostly picked out, Alex is starting on the logo and mascot, and I already have a loose framework figured out on what I would like to cover. We will likely turn the band into a Corporation soon to be the umbrella company over the other smaller ones on the way (Katie and Alex have the coolest one yet - mostly Katie with Alex on board as the graphic artist, but they're not ready to reveal that), and going through a process of changing to a Corporation or even just an LLC sounds like a nightmare in procrastinated paperwork, so perhaps that will get the creative juices moving again!

The trick will be promotion, which is not something I'm particularly familiar with, especially when the writings are aimed at parents with very young children - something I have walked through and for which I have so many fun ideas, but very few personal areas in which I connect because I no longer have littles in the family. However, maybe after I start the whole thing it can take on a life of its own. Sometimes starting is the hardest part.

This week's goal: Start the start, even with little time left before we pull out of the Rio Grande Valley and get to traveling again, and with four more shows to play this week - 6 if you take us through next Sunday. Even so, you have to start somewhere, right? The first goal is to start figuring out where to start. Then we'll worry about one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment