Sunday, May 12, 2013

Wifi Deprivation, Mother's Day, and Birthdays

So, I'm sitting here at what appears to be the nearest "high speed" wifi to our campground, which happens to be a McDonalds, 18 miles from the bus. The idea was to get Scrivener on my lap top to help me get going on the book I hope to start writing next month. The download started off with just over an hour, and then dropped to 4 hours, now it is around 3 hours, due to wifi competition, coming either from the couple across from me, having lunch with together with their lap tops, or from the mom on a lap top, eating lunch with her daughters, one with ear buds and a device in her ears, the other in her red angry bird pajama pants and bright yellow crocks, on a lap top streaming videos on youtube with her own lap top.

I keep looking at my download, then looking over to each, trying to convince my mind that perhaps they are getting a rare wifi treat and it's important too, instead of thinking annoying thoughts at people who are there just to steal my wifi! I'm hoping they'll finish their sandwiches soon and leave me and my download alone before I feel guilty about sitting here for so long with just a coffee and go get a sandwich myself.

I can't stay here all day people. Don't you realize I have a gluten free chocolate cake to bake tonight?

When I return it will be time for Birthday Gluttony.  Today is not Mother's Day, it's 8-year-old-birthday-gluttony-day. That's a little girl in birthday bliss, too. She has been pouting for months now about the lack of little girl play mates in our recent travels. Well, God must have heard her cries because, just in time for her birthday, He landed SIX little girls, ages 2 to 11, all homeschool and full time on the road, right in our park and right near the bus. Yesterday was full of dress-up, snacks, the start of a puppy club, a play about a dog show complete with dancing and tricks, etc.

Just went down to 1 1/2 hours... back up to an estimated 2 hours...

As for Mother's Day, I don't really care. I'm not much for all-about-me days. Normally what happens is I buy myself something we need anyway, call it my Mother's Day present, and let everyone off the hook from having to stare guiltily at me all day, not knowing what to do, but feeling like they really should be doing something for me, but I didn't tell them what to do, so they don't know what to do.

The twins at least asked me what I wanted. I cringed at the idea of having one more thing to find a place for in the bus and wondered if they'd just clean it. They did. Then I went off to McDonalds to download Scrivener, which seemed like a really cool idea, until people started stealing my wifi...

Back down to 1 1/2 hours... I think the mom with the youtube streaming angry girl pajama pants daughter is getting ready to leave. I should go get something to eat. What's not disgusting here?

No, wait. They got up, returned and started chewing again. Rats. Maybe a milkshake?



1 comment:

  1. Don't they have salads? Skip the dressing...Anyway, I admire your persistence with the download and your description of your "thieves" is hysterical. Happy Mother's Day (I feel much the same as you...) and a hearty Happy Birthday to Mary!
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete