Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Food is Annoying but Chocolate is Good

We went. We ate. We mmmmmm'd.

Hershey is wonderful. Wonderful and bad for us, but still wonderful. Why is all the truly yummy stuff that is relatively cheap and already prepackaged for me, ready to enjoy, always so bad?

We just hit Chocolate World, not the amusement park. We've been more than amused already this year with Disney and Silver Dollar City. Not much new to see in rides.

The Chocolate World ride that takes you on a fake tour of the factory was cheesy, and the rest of Chocolate world revolved around finding ways to stuff candy into you, which we obliged. What can I say? We're an easy target.

I had thought ahead to have us eat lunch first, and had dinner in the crock pot for when we returned, trying desperately to minimize possible allergy reactions from Mary. Didn't really work. She was still a bit sick, but nothing dramatic, thankfully. I suspect it was from the cheese she put on her dinner though, with the annatto and corn starch, not the chocolate, which does have some soy lecithin. I cannot find any cheddar cheese at any of the nearby towns that does not have annatto coloring, which I suspect is on her list of sensitivities. So, we had a slightly sick little girl after all the fun. Since she consumed left over chocolate today (after much pleading) and was not sick tonight, I am doubly suspicious of orange cheddar cheese shreds. I really need to figure out how to find some of this specialty food when we are bouncing around all of the time.

"Specialty food." Cheese. Because we MUST put artificial color into our cheese. We're so food stoooopid in this country it makes me nuts. We've messed up our basic food staples and now I have to jump through hoops to feed my daughter real food. If only she could just stuff a box of Mac & Cheese down her. I admit, part of me is thankful she can't. All of this forced me to wake up to just how contaminated our food supply has become. I have to go to a specialty store to find cheese that is just cheese. Gah!

So, after excessive sugar and who-knows-what, the younger two have been in rare form the last 24 hours as they detox their system. Hershey isn't too bad, as far as food mucking goes, but sugar bombs mess with their brain and attitudes nevertheless. The two of them almost got shipped off to the nearest military school today after all of the fights, whines, squabbles, and other joys of siblinghood. I felt lousy, their dad felt lousy, though the twins usually can handle food junks better than the rest of us so they appeared to be the only ones functioning.

Food has been giving me headaches for weeks now as we try to stop the bad digestive issues poor Mary has to deal with. I kept going back and forth between this and that contradiction, because the screaming dogmatic stances are all around me, usually from facebook memes, but sometimes in real life, and were making me nuts.

I have vegan friends, low carb friends, paleo only friends, and just-give-me-a-burger friends. They all post the memes about health, herbs, foods, and natural miracles. Some are just false, like the stupid one that says spiders hate peppermint. Well, let me tell you, we've had lots of chances to try that one out and the spiders could care less.

Then there is milk. I hate the milk debate and spent a month trying to get to the bottom of it with little luck. First I'm told whole milk is evil because it's homogenized (not convinced, the theory comes from a study in the 70s that has not been updated or verified, according to the Nutrition Diva, but Mercola says it's evil since he says everything is evil and some things are so sometimes I listen and sometimes I roll my eyes). Then some say to instead use skim, because it doesn't have the maybe evil homogenized cream, but then you find skim is more evil because they put dehydrated milk in it (only a few do and it's easy to tell despite the labeling, but that may not actually be evil after all). But, but, but... dehydrated milk is waaaay evil (but only if it's not skim milk since it's the fat in this case that gets altered to oxidized cholesterol, which is confirmed evil), but whey protein powder is often recommended to boost protein (which may have oxidized cholesterol, so it may be evil). Then there is raw milk only groups (can't find, can't afford, not on the table here but probably healthier). Oh, and let's not forget those who say that God did NOT intend cow milk for human consumption, but only made it for baby cows... (Do you remember how the Hebrews were led to a land of milk and honey? I bet God wasn't thinking of a land full of lactating women. Just sayin'.)

I hate milk because it's confusing. Unless it's with chocolate. 

Let's all just give up on food, shall we? It's all contaminated. From what I have gained in my limited time for study, wheat is now officially evil, thanks to modern farm practices, and although some people can still digest the frankengrain, it is likely not ideal regardless. You have to go to some old Russian brand of wheat to get the stuff that was more like what our grandmothers used. I think the jury is still out on GMO food, but that's mostly because I can't really trust anyone doing any studies because that one is so politicized and the darling child of the FDA, and not really having much love for the FDA, I lean in the "probably frankengrain stay clear" direction. We've also found about 1000 uses for all that excessive farm subsidized corn and soy, most of which doesn't really resemble food anymore. All of this stuff means I have to get a degree in food chemistry to read a label and see if my daughter can eat it, if it will make my husband's metabolic syndrome cause him to die an early death, if it will make me fat, and if it will make the twins break out, or Sean's scattered brain scatter further.

When we eat real food, we feel great. Too bad we have to find a specialty store to get the stuff.

There's hope. I'm reading a book I kind of like right now called Trim, Healthy Mama. "Kind of" is the key phrase. They do rely on a lot of whey for extra protein, which I'm still not convinced is healthy until I learn more about that oxidized cholesterol thing, and lots of stevia, which I am not convinced is a fool-proof way to have your cake and eat it too, (or get your lemonade and drink it too). I recently found a study on how the body might react in preparation for carbs when it tastes sweetness, and how it may be messing people up when it prepares for something it then doesn't get. That would explain why diet drinks can lead to diabetes... or not. We don't know, but if it's from that alone, stevia may not be immune to the effect. Too soon to tell, but I think caution is necessary with stevia abuse for now. People cheer over how stevia does not spike the blood sugar. Neither does aspartame (which I am convinced really is evil in sweet form and no one should touch), and yet it leads to type 2 diabetes. Hmmm...

Nevertheless, the reason this book speaks to me is because it really goes where so many of the low-carb, paleo mentalities only give lip service towards - the real need to feed your cells with the stuff only things from the plant world can provide. Fabulous green smoothie recipes are part of the plan, along with salads, and even the occasional evil BEAN. You can eat breakfast that has a grain Mary can have, instead of 1000 ways to use eggs, which Mary can't have. However, I was sold when I saw she had many recipes that use chocolate. Chocolate that doesn't use soy, TBHQ, BHT, or UDIENOW. Yes, they had me at chocolate.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, it's hard enough to find real food when you're living in a non-moving house...I can't imagine the nightmare you're living in grocery shopping-wise. Cabot makes a white cheddar that they sell at Safeway, if that helps. It costs twice what orange cheddar costs, of course.
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete